NABCEP Board Certifications | PV Installation Professional (PVIP) Board Certification Job Task Analysis (JTA) Review
The PV Installation Professional (PVIP) Job Task Analysis (JTA) presents a thorough breakdown of the job tasks that individuals in charge of decision-making roles in the Photovoltaic (PV) system industry must perform. This includes the design, installation, commissioning, and operations & maintenance of PV systems. It's worth noting that this JTA applies to a wide range of installation personnel, including but not limited to installers, project managers, installation foreman/supervisors, and designers. Regardless of their specific role, these individuals must be well-versed in the knowledge areas contained within this document.
This JTA takes into account the changes that have occurred in the solar industry over the last five years as it has grown and matured. While the roles of personnel in PV installation have expanded, the fundamental knowledge areas outlined in this JTA remain largely unchanged.
Assuming the NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional (PVIP) has a system design package, complete with major components, manufacturer installation manuals, system schematics, and assembly and troubleshooting instructions, this task list begins with the step of verifying the accuracy of the design. Even if the PVIP was responsible for the design, they must verify its accuracy. Additionally, personnel who did not design the system must be knowledgeable about systems design because they may be required to adapt the design to fit a specific application or customer need.
The tasks outlined in this JTA are based on common designs, equipment, and practices currently used in the industry, but they do not limit or restrict innovative equipment, designs, or installation practices. It's expected that the skills required of practitioners will change and develop over time as new materials, techniques, codes, and standards emerge, as is typical with any advancing technology.
The NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional will be responsible for the installation, configuration, inspection, and maintenance of photovoltaic systems, including grid-connected and stand-alone systems with or without battery storage. They will ensure that all installed systems meet the performance and reliability needs of customers in the United States and Canada. Additionally, the PV Installation Professional will be required to ensure that all installations comply with applicable codes, standards, and safety requirements.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specify, adapt, implement, configure, install, inspect, and maintain any type of photovoltaic system
- Ensure quality craftsmanship and compliance with all applicable codes, standards, and safety requirements
- Install and maintain grid-connected and stand-alone systems with or without battery storage
- Verify site potential for solar photovoltaic system installation
- Work with basic instructions, major components, schematics, and drawings to complete installations
- Ensure that all installed systems meet the performance and reliability needs of customers in the United States and Canada
- NABCEP Certification as a PV Installation Professional
- Experience in the installation, configuration, inspection, and maintenance of photovoltaic systems
- Knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and safety requirements
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment and materials
- Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
- Ability to work in various weather conditions